I love bacon. So much, that my kids joke that I put bacon in everything when I cook. That really isn’t true, but it’s cute, so I’ll go with that. Well, the joke is on them, because this time I didn’t really use bacon when I made this Sweet Potato Bacon, Egg and Greens Sandwich. I made sweet potato bacon!
Sweet potatoes, when sliced thin and slowly baked in a simple brown sugar, salt, and pepper coating, curl up and turn crisp just like bacon. It’s sweet, it’s savory, and it’s delicious! And just like real bacon, you just cannot stop at one piece…but unlike bacon, it’s pretty much a guiltless pleasure!
Paired with a fried egg and micro greens that have been lightly tossed with a sweet dressing, sweet potato bacon makes a pretty delicious sandwich, a perfect vegetarian meal for Meatless Monday, or any day of the week!
Life is good. It’s a “I admit that I had to make two batches of this because the first batch didn’t make it to the photo shoot… let’s just say I ate more than a couple of pieces…” kind of good!
- 2 sweet potatoes, washed and sliced thin lengthwise
- 3 tbsp butter
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 Sourdough Rolls
- 4 Eggs
- 12 slices sweet potato bacon
- Sweet Microgreens
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red onion, minced
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste (I usually use around ¼ tsp)
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable spray, and set aside.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Cut each end off of the potatoes to give them a more rectangle look when they're sliced. Begin slicing them into thin strips lengthwise.
- Melt the butter in a shallow dish. Dip each potato slice into the butter, coating both sides, and place on the cookie sheet. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. Rub half of the brown sugar over each potato slice, flip, and rub the other side with the remaining half of brown sugar.
- Bake for about an hour or so, flipping the potatoes until they become caramelized and crisp.
- Remove to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Slice the four rolls in half, and place under broiler until golden brown. Remove from broiler.
- Fry 4 eggs over easy (or your preferred type of egg).
- Place 3 slices of sweet potato bacon on the bottom half of each roll. Place a fried egg on top of the sweet potato bacon. Top with the sweet mirco greens.
- Place all ingredients in a jar. Cover jar with a lid, and shake. Refrigerate until ready to use. Shake before tossing with the micro greens. Toss last minute so that the greens don't turn soggy.