Deep summer is when laziness finds respectability. ~Sam Keen
You know…I tend to be fickle when it comes to summer.
I love it..
But I hate it too…
I love the sunshine, and the leaves on the trees… the birds singing early in the morning…and the flowers blooming. I love all that.
But it’s the heat….and it’s the humidity that I hate. I don’t do well with either of them…and that’s when the laziness tends to come out in me.
I don’t know… I can’t really say it’s laziness…because I start out with the best intentions, and a list of things I’d like to do, like to get done. But then the heat hits…and I’m zapped of any energy that I thought I had.
And I think that’s where laziness finds respectability…it’s because we can justify doing nothing on those hot summer days.
A lack of energy.
The heat knocks it right out of us.
And the humidity keeps us down..
And that’s when I like to sit on the porch, hopefully with a light breeze..a new magazine.. and a refreshing cocktail. And the beauty of this cocktail, is that it’s really a mocktail! It has the flavor of a delicious Salty Dog, minus the gin..
It’s salty, it’s sweet and tart at the same time… a hint of peach nectar sweetens the grapefruit juice.. Served over crushed ice, this mocktail is the perfect drink to keep you feeling cool and hydrated.
Life is good. It’s a “Go ahead.. be lazy on those hot summer days. I respect that. I respect you…” kind of good..
- 1 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tbsp coarse sugar in the raw
- ½ cup fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
- Pulp from ½ grapefruit
- 3 tbsp peach nectar
- Juice of ½ orange
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 cube sugar in the raw, optional
- Lime and grapefruit pulp for garnish
- Pour the sea salt and sugar in the raw onto a small plate. Mix thoroughly, and make sure it is spread out evenly. Run a slice of lime around the rim of the cocktail glass to moisten, and dip the rim of the glass into the salt/sugar in the raw mixture. Keep dipping the rim until it is fully salted. Let sit and dry for a few minutes.
- Add the grapefruit juice, grapefruit pulp, peach nectar, orange juice, lime juice, about four ice cubes, and if you prefer, a cube of sugar in the raw, in a cocktail shaker. Shake hard for about about two minutes. Strain into a cocktail glass with crushed ice.
- Garnish with a slice of lime and a spoonful of grapefruit pulp in the middle of the mocktail.