Have you ever played a game of Scrabble with a dictionary in hand? You know that’s against the rules, right? Or played a game of Monopoly in which your opponent is completely out of money, and lands on your property… you break the rules and let him/her owe you the money until he/she passes “Go” and gets $200?
I’ve broken those Scrabble and Monopoly rules.
I’ve gone against the grain.
I’ve fought the system.
Created a ripple in the force…
Sometimes rules are made to be broken.
And sometimes, we think there are rules, when in fact, there are no rules at all…
Like Smoothies. Do they really have to be made with fruit? No. They don’t. People have been adding vegetables to their smoothies for a very long time so that they can get their daily intake of vitamins and nutrients.
But what if, just this once… I didn’t want a fruit and vegetable smoothie? What if I wanted something decadent.. made with yogurt, dark chocolate, and espresso? What if I want a little guilty pleasure?
Would that be breaking the rules?
“Not Your Typical Smoothie”..
I tossed a few ideas around with my friends… but in the end, I knew full well that if I made a smoothie, there was going to be chocolate involved. It’s not that I don’t like fruit and vegetable smoothies, because I do… but this time, well… it had to be chocolate. It had to be different. It had to be breaking the rules.
This truly is a decadent smoothie..you know…filled with promises of love and satisfaction…and it delivers…baby… it delivers.
The creaminess from the yogurt and chocolate make it almost milkshake-like, but the ice and espresso gives it that slushiness that we all love in a smoothie. Swirl the dark chocolate espresso bottom throughout the smoothie for a little guilty pleasure with each sip you take.. and then top it off with a bite of that crunchy gooeyness of the toasted marshmallow!
Tomorrow…you can go back to your fruits and vegetables…but today…enjoy the deep rich flavor of hot chocolate and espresso together in a cup filled with icy goodness..
I’m always on Williams-Sonoma’s website checking out what they have new…and what bargain I just might find on clearance…. and while I was there, I was checking out their wide variety of blenders… it amazes me how far blenders have come! Some of them are amazing… like need to have their own room because I swear they’re almost human with all of the things they can do! It made me realize how badly I need a new blender!
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet if you can't find the dark chocolate)
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup ice
- 3 tbsp prepared espresso
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 3 tbsp prepared espresso
- ¼ cup warm milk
- 2-toasted marshmallows for garnish
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat..heat the heavy cream until bubbles begin to form around the edges of the pan. Don't let it come to a boil. Remove from heat, and stir in the chocolate chips. Continue to stir until the chocolate chips are completely melted, and the chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- In a blender (or your blending appliance of choice) add the yogurt, the melted chocolate, milk, ice, espresso, and vanilla. Blend until completely mixed, and of slushy consistency. (Add more or less ice for your desired consistency)
- Add the ¼ cup chocolate chips and 3 tbsp of espresso to a small bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Depending on your microwave, you might have to heat it for a few more seconds until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the melted chocolate to the bottom of two cups, painting it up the sides of the cups with the spoon.
- Add the hot chocolate smoothie on top of the melted chocolate, to about ¼" from the top of the cup.
- Add the warm milk to a milk frother, and froth the milk according to the directions. Add the froth to the top of the frozen hot chocolate mixture.
- Top with toasted marshmallows.
- Serve immediately with a straw and a spoon.
A quick note…. a special Thank You to Williams-Sonoma for inviting me to participate in their mission to find the not so typical smoothie. It truly was a pleasure.
While this post is all in fun with the Williams-Sonoma “Not Your Typical Smoothie” mission.. I was not paid or compensated in any way. The smoothie idea is my own, created to go with their fun theme for this week.
Wouldn’t these be perfect to create your own smoothies?…
This Waring Milk Shake and Drink Mixer would be perfect for my hot chocolate smoothie..
For the Smoothie Party Animal… this Margaritaville Trio Frozen Concoction Maker would be the bomb!
This Breville Hemisphere Twist Blender is really all you need to make a perfect smoothie!