If you are of the faint of heart… look away..
If you don’t mind a little cheese on your chin, and sauce on your cheek, then this sandwich is most definitely for you…
Grilled Brie with sautéed mushrooms and onions, bacon, and a barbecue mustard sauce to top it off…
You know….the moment you take that very first bite, and you know that it is quickly going south from there…literally…and in that very instant, you have committed to see this thing through… etiquette completely out the door…finger licking encouraged.
Ooey and gooey, saucy and spicy.
I dare you to eat it without a napkin…
Life is good. It’s a “You have a little sauce on your chin..” kind of good!
Don’t let all of the steps in this recipe keep you from making this sandwich!! It doesn’t take that long to throw together, and in less than 20 minutes, you’ll be wiping cheese from your shirt!
- 4 thick slices bread (I used sour dough, but use your favorite bread!)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 8 slices thick sliced pepper bacon
- ½ pound Brie (My preference is a medium buttery Brie)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp. spicy brown mustard
- 2 tbsp. mayonnaise
- In a large frying pan, fry the bacon until it's crisp. Remove from pan (keep about a tablespoon of the grease in the pan), and let drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- In that same pan (with about a tablespoon of the bacon grease), caramelize the onions and garlic until golden brown. Remove from the pan, and set aside.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and sauté until golden brown, about five minutes.
- You can either rinse your frying pan out at this point so that you get the golden brown crust on your bread, or you can add the butter to the existing bacon/onion/mushroom particles. Your sandwich will look dirty, but will be totally flavorful! Even though this is a sloppy sandwich, I usually opt for the golden brown clean looking type.
- Melt 1 tbsp. butter over low heat in a large frying pan.
- Begin to assemble the sandwich, and on one slice of the bread place 4 slices bacon. Top with half of the mushrooms. Spread half of the BBQ Mustard sauce over the mushrooms.
- Place ½ of the Brie over the mushrooms, and then top the Brie with half of the caramelized onions.
- Place the open faced sandwich in the frying pan with the melted butter, and place another slice of bread in the same pan, next to the sandwich. You're basically browning the sandwich in the pan, and then will place the open face sandwich under the broiler until the cheese melts.
- As soon as the bread is golden brown on one side, remove from the pan.
- Place the open faced sandwich under the broiler for about three minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the broiler, and top with the other slice of bread that you browned in the pan with the open faced sandwich.
- Repeat steps 5-11 for the second sandwich.
- Serve hot while the cheese is still oozing from the sandwich.
- In a small bowl, combine the barbecue sauce, spicy mustard, and mayonnaise. This will cover two or more sandwiches, depending on your "saucy" preference!