I’m ashamed to say that I’ve let my freezer get filled to the brim over these last couple of months. I am notorious for bagging up leftovers thinking that I could just throw it into a soup sometime, and then completely forget about it until it becomes an unknown entity in a crystal filled baggie. The freezer so full, that I’ve had to cram food into the ice maker, and there are crystals starting to form on the side wall…. I know that I need to start using, or toss all that stuff…and I even declared to the kids last week that we were eating out of the freezer for the next couple of weeks. But then my brain takes a sharp right, and I start thinking about meals that I have zero ingredients for…like this Cheese Ravioli with Cod and Arugula. Which, of course, is why my freezer remains full.
While I was throwing this all together in my head, it was going to be over fettuccine. I changed it to rigatoni, and then finally decided on cheese ravioli. While I believe that this would be delicious over fettuccine and rigatoni, and any other pasta for that matter, the ravioli was the perfect choice.
Floating in a buttery lemon sauce, the delicate cod and cheese ravioli offset with the peppery arugula are topped off with oversized and lemon infused garlic breadcrumbs. And this just makes a satisfying dish for the warm transition from summer to fall! I’m going to go ahead and give you the thumbs up for using a good quality store bought ravioli that will only make this dish an easy throw together 30 minute meal, but will leave you plenty of time to do the things you want to do / or not want to do… like clean and organize your freezer!
Life is good. It’s a “I’ll start clearing the freezer this week…unless something else tickles my fancy instead…” kind of good.
- 1 package good quality ravioli (found in the cheese or dairy section of your grocery store)
- 1 cup reserved water from the ravioli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ to ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 pound cod filet
- ½ stick butter
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp freshly grated romano cheese
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 5 oz bag fresh arugula
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 thick slices Italian bread
- Ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp romano cheese
- Cook the ravioli in salted water according to directions. Drain, reserving one cup of the water.
- While the water for the ravioli is heating, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan, and sauté the shallot, garlic and red pepper flakes until tender, watching carefully that the garlic doesn't burn. Add the cod, and cook for about five minutes on each side until it is fully cooked and flaky.
- Leave the cod in the pan, and add the ½ stick butter, the lemon juice, romano cheese, ½ cup of the pasta water, and 1 tsp of the lemon zest to the pan. Let simmer for a few minutes, adding more pasta water as needed.
- Add the arugula, and let simmer until it is wilted. Serve over the cooked ravioli with the oversized breadcrumbs.
- Preheat broiler.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan. Dip the bread slices into the melted butter coating both sides. Remove the pan from the heat, and set aside.
- Place the butter coated bread slices on a baking sheet, season with black pepper, and place under the broiler for about two to three minutes on each side, or until they turn golden brown on both sides. Remove from the broiler, and break into coarse crumbs.
- Add the breadcrumbs, garlic, lemon zest and romano cheese back into the frying pan, and cook over low heat until the breadcrumbs are crunchy and browned.