I went to a town concert a couple of weeks ago, and settled in to listen to a Journey tribute band, and people watch. I swear that I am the biggest people watcher ever. I don’t mean to be. Well, I guess maybe I do. But I’m not a creeper or anything, and people amuse me. Intrigue me. And truth be told, sometimes annoy me!
While I was sitting there wondering why the people in front of me didn’t bring jackets for their little toddlers, or how the lady to the left broke her leg…a man dancing in front of the stage playing a tambourine caught my eye. I sat watching him for a couple of minutes trying to figure out why a band member would be dancing around in front of the stage and not on it.
And then I realized..
He’s not a member of the band.
He’s a member of the audience!
I couldn’t stop watching this zany character dancing through the crowd, and playing his tambourine, and had my mind made up that he was a little on the crazy side. More than a little crazy. He was a lot crazy! But…he made me laugh. Happy, actually. The more I watched him, I realized that this man was loving life. He didn’t care that people were watching him dance around and play his tambourine. He didn’t care that I was sitting there amused and entertained by him. He was living in the moment, enjoying the music, and doing what he loved.
Tambourine Man most definitely has it right.
I think we all need to follow Tambourine Man’s lead, and live in the moment. Enjoy the summer, enjoy life, and just have fun. Time is precious..and even more so in the summer because it’s so short lived.
So, especially during the summer, meals should be simple and fresh, quick and easy to get you out of the kitchen and out the door!
A buttery and spicy sauce pairs well with the sweet cherry tomatoes and corn. This simple Angel Hair with Corn and Tomatoes is one of those meals. Because angel hair pasta takes just a couple of minutes to cook, you can have the sauce made right around the time it’s perfectly al dente!
A simple, fresh summer meal made in just a few minutes so that you can go and do what you love to do…even if it’s dancing and playing your tambourine at an outdoor concert!
Life is good. It’s a “Go ahead and play your tambourine, I won’t laugh…. Okay…I might laugh a little….but it’s all in good fun” kind of good..
- ⅓ pound angel hair pasta
- 3 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- ¾ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper (or more to your desired spiciness)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 ear of fresh corn, kernels cut from the cob
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Fresh basil, Lemon wedges, and Ricotta Salata for serving
- Cook the angel hair according to the directions on the package.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter and add the onion. Sauté until translucent, about three minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for about a minute longer. Stir in the chili powder, oregano, black pepper, salt, and red pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and corn. Sauté until the tomatoes are softened, about five minutes. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Using tongs, pull the cooked pasta from the water, and add directly to the tomato and corn sauce, tossing to mix.
- Serve with basil, lemon wedges, and grated ricotta salata.